Saturday, May 11, 2013

For Mom

I am going to post on my night at the Ritz... amazing. In honor of Mother's Day tomorrow, I thought I'd share with you a snippet from my mom's gift from her three kids.

Tomorrow, my mom will celebrate her 32nd Mother's Day, so my brothers and I wrote 32 memories we have or lessons we learned from Mom. We divided it up, so Joe and I each wrote 11 and Jesse wrote 10, and put our memories/lessons in envelopes and tied them up with a ribbon. I can't wait to see her reaction at brunch tomorrow.

If I am on the ball, I'll update this post with a picture of it, but if I'm busy with The Children, you'll just have to settle for one of my memories:


One memory that stands out for me is from my junior year of high school. We had gone to Ohio after Paw-Paw had passed away and I’d found a tanning lamp in the basement Oh my God. I just perched in front of it, waiting to feel tan like you do when you are on the beach. Imagine my surprise when I burnt the shit out of myself. My face was PURPLE for days. What was perhaps worse was when it came time to go back to school, my face was peeling. Peeling like a snake’s skin. Peeling like I had leprosy. Peeling like I had frosted flakes coming off my face. I went to school, not with a bad hair day, but with a bad face day. I snuck into chorus, my first class of the day, and I felt like everyone was looking at me. I felt sooo ugly and I didn’t want anyone to see me. I hid in the bathroom during break and called you from the pay phone at the front of the school to come and get me.

Some parents may have wanted to teach their kids a lesson about vanity. Some may have said they were too busy. You dropped what you were doing and came and got me.  I cried in the car all the way home. When we got back, I busied myself with exfoliating the shit out of my face. My skin was pink and raw and my eyes were puffy and burning from crying and you let me go take a nap.

What stood out to me was that A) facial tanning lamps are the devil B) you will always be there and scoop me up when I need you. Even though I was a brat in high school. And college. And off and on, well, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment