Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Potty-Training Week

Number of successful potty trips to date: 4
Number of accidents: 3

(*Those of you without kids are going to *love* these posts).

I'm starting my post out old school style! Anyways, as I mentioned, we are potty-training this week. I started yesterday, and it's going okay so far, but it's also not our first attempt at potty-training.

Here's what I tried in the past:
  • Reading 4 different books to compare methods and prepare
  • Picking out underwear together
  • M&Ms after every pee, cars after every poo
  • Huge celebrations after making it in the potty
  • Casually asking, "do you need to go to the potty?"
  • Read every potty book I could find to him
  • Watched every potty movie I could find to him (a new form of torture for myself, I have found)
  • Trying to incorporate going potty into bed time routine and building from there
  • Following him around and asking him to use the bathroom every 2 seconds
  • Begging
For this endeavor, I've done nothing. Absolutely nothing. I'm actually doing what my pediatrician said to do which is, explain to him we are going to the potty now and no more diapers. I put underwear on him and that's been that. I have asked him a few times if it's been a while since he's gone, but he screams, "NO!" like he's gone all teenager on me and is embarrassed I would even ask such a thing.

I am not getting upset or frustrated. I'm not stressing out. He had one accident yesterday and I acted like it was no big deal. I put him on the potty and let him pick out which new underwear he wanted to wear. No freakouts, no celebrations, no rewards. Just moved on. (I definitely put a diaper on him at night because I needed him to wake me up to change the sheets like I need to set my hair on fire).

I was a little discouraged at nap time yesterday and asked him if he wanted to wear a diaper or Big Boy Pants and he chose the BBPs. He didn't wet the bed, so we will see how today's nap goes. 

Riveting stuff, I know. Stay tuned eager readers for more updates on my son's bowel movements! Just kidding. I am not going to give you a play by play on this. The next time I post about potty-training, it will to declare victory!
Bringing the toilet in front of the TV. Well, if Mohammed won't come to the mountain...



No comments:

Post a Comment