Saturday, May 26, 2012

23 Ideas for Entertaining Toddlers in the Summer

Now that summer is upon us, I feel a greater urge to get Henry out of the house. Thank GOD the pool has finally opened because that is always an option. Unfortunately, the pool doesn't open until 11 or 12 when Henry goes down for his nap. So, my biggest problem is entertaining Henry between the hours of 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. After I've fed him breakfast, there is a feeling of anxiety that creeps over me because I have NO IDEA what to do with him for five hours.


In an effort to rid myself of this anxiety, I spent several days investigating what to do with him. Pinterest was no help here. Most of the things I find to do for him are either A) too advanced for him or B) don't entertain him long enough to be worth the set up and clean up time.
Take, for example, this Pinterest project:


The pinner said her 2 yo son was entertained for an hour. My son was entertained for fifteen minutes. You see what I'm dealing with here? 

After extensive research, I've put together a list and now I'm posting it here to share with you. Feel free to give me more ideas. I'm willing to try anything. It doesn't have to be between the hours of 7 a.m. and  11 a.m. either. It rains sometimes. :)

 1. Vacation Bible School: I didn't have any luck finding any up here that take 2 y/os, but it could be an option for you.


2. Library Events: Our library has free events, but you have to be on the ball with signing up because they go fast. I've set my alarm so that I can be first. Make sure you take your child to an event s/he is old enough. Remember my experience






3. Parks Classes: There are some great programs in our parks & recreation magazine for the summer. Registration started May 15 for ours, and I think they fill up fast, so get on it! There's an obstacle course/music/sing-along class that meets 1x a week for 8 weeks for $80 that I signed Henry up for. Bonus that the rec center has a new spray park we can go to afterward and still be home in time for him to take a nap.

4. Meet-up groups/Moms Club/MOPS: Depending on where you live, there should be at least ONE of these groups. I know MOPS does not meet in the summer, but my chapter still has summer events planned, thankfully! Moms Clubs are great, despite some of The Moms, because they are often divided up by age. Even if they aren't, there's almost always a Veteran Mom who can tell you how to get your kid to eat/potty train/etc.


5. Soccer Tots: Believe it or not, there are actually some sports available for kids under 3. The one in our area is a little too far and a little too pricey for me to consider, but it could be an option for you.


6. Preschool Summer Camps: Again, Henry isn't old enough for the few I've looked into, but it could be an option for you!

7. KinderCare Summer Camp: I've been playing phone tag with this lady, but I'm not sure if it's a flexible, leisurely, once or twice a week camp. I know the camp is 12 weeks long, but I don't know if there is a sliding scale depending on the frequency and length of time you bring your kid. 

8. Zoo: Even though Henry's already been to the zoo about 5 times in the two years he's been here with us, it doesn't mean that he doesn't enjoy it every time. This picture on the top was taken at the zoo in Lexington, South Carolina where you get to feed the giraffes! The other picture was taken yesterday. Henry went to the National Zoo with his GiGi and Aunt Heather and was "very well behaved." Ha. Ha. Ha.







9. Museums: Most metropolitan cities have some kind of museum and most museums have some kind of children's exhibits. Even if they don't, your little person will still get a kick out of the museum. Trust me, if Henry was entertained, your child will be entertained. One of the things to do on my docket this summer is to go to the actual Children's Museum at National Harbor. If you're lucky, you'll have one of those near you.




10. Aquarium: Make sure you check the hours of operation to work around your toddler's nap schedule. Also, see if there are any exhibits of feeding times. These are great times to go if you can swing it.







11. Monuments: I'm committed to going to as many monuments as I can while we live in the area. The thing I'll have to keep in mind is when taking Henry, the monument will have to allow a) screaming b) snacking c) running. It will also have to be somewhat entertaining or I may as well do another Pinterest Fail Project. The Washington Monument is not on our radar, but I snapped this pic on our way to the aquarium. Possible DC options for us are: FDR memorial (lots of things to touch, water there), Lincoln (stairs=fun for Henry, pain for Mommy), WWII Memorial (there's water there I think?), the Mall (reflecting pool). 








12. Chuck-e-Cheese's and/or Monkey Joe's: We took Henry once on a rainy day. He loved the toddler section, but only liked one ride. Forget the games, he was more into putting the token into the slot. He took a crucial nap afterward. Thank God.



13. Inflatable houses: Henry is DEATHLY afraid of all moon bounces and air tracks, but your kid might dig it.


14. Strawberry picking: I listed this with some trepidation because I'm not entirely sure that my 23 month old will be able to do this or even interested. He did enjoy apple picking (picture shown below) even if he did just pick rotten apples up off the ground. Plus, there might be a great playground like there was at this orchard.










15. Playdates: Don't underestimate the power of a playdate with a friend. I'm going to try and meet up with my friends more and their kids. If your friend lives further away, consider meeting halfway at a park somewhere. This website is awesome for helping you figure out what's halfway AND what's close by. Here's a picture of Henry with his best and (once was) only friend, Mr. Duckie (not his real name, but so cute), Ms. Mess's son. I forgot to take pictures of their most recent get together.






16. PetSmart or PetCo: Kids love animals. I'm sure it's a good way to teach them all the different animals. Just do not, I repeat, DO NOT come home with a gerbil/hamster/fish/bird/cat. You need another being to take care of like you need another pair of flip-flops. Stop it, crazy. 




17. Petting zoos: I have yet to take Henry yet, but I think he'll love it. It's like getting to touch all the animals he wants. He's going to go nuts.

18. Local parks and playgrounds: Dude. Take a minute and look up what parks there are near you and GO, for the love. I kept hearing about this playground, Clemyjontri (named after the founder's four kids), and finally went. Henry was entertained for two hours. That should sell you right there. I just had to get directions and plan it out. We went bright and early, which is good because people almost started fighting over my parking spot when I left. I took a video for my sister-in-law, so that's who this video is for. 










19. Nature Centers: This one was suggested by the husband. Apparently, there are nature centers in our area and apparently they often bring in owls and snakes and stuff. It's on the summer docket.


20. Fairs/Carnivals: I'm not just talking about those scary fairs in mall parking lots. I'm talking about Renaissance fairs and "Family Fun" type fairs. In my experience there's always some kind of live music and games. Just watch out for carnies.


21. $1 Movies: Ms. Mess gave me this idea, and I think it's perfect for a rainy day. Google $1 movies and your location and you should be given a list of locations near you. There's usually at least one family-friendly movie showing. If your kid hates the movie, no big. You only paid $2.


22. Movies Under the Moon: I hesitate to even use this as an example. In fact, don't even count this one. If you Google Movies under the Moon, you should be able to find a spot near you. There's often some kind of pre-movie entertainment even if it is laughing at the teenagers "secretly" getting drunk off of Boone's Farm a few rows up. Sometimes there are ice cream vendors if you're lucky. Possible concerns: your child hating the movie, losing your child because he hates the movie and there are 233,987 children running around in the same Carter's outfit, getting so frazzled you steal the aforementioned teenagers' Boone's Farm and end up with a wild hangover. Anyway, you're not going to see a lick of the movie, so just know that going in.


23. Your own backyard: Do something cool. My sister-in-law got me a bubble machine, which was great because I don't have to hyperventilate blowing bubbles anymore. I also bought a $5 baby pool at Target. I got a spray tube that Henry can kind of use from the dollar store. My sister-in-law also got Henry a splash and play table. Some kids dig sidewalk chalk. Do it. Whatever. With Henry, anything involving water is great. Enjoy a little day in paradise!










So there it is. My list of things to do with your toddler this summer. If you think of anything else, let me know! There are about 90 days of summer, give or take, so... I'm all ears. 









2 comments:

  1. You are extreeeeemely funny. It's refreshing to read something written by witty smartie-pants Mom that actually knows what's she's talking about!!! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man! You know as well as I do that if you don't have a sense of humor as a mom, you're doomed. Your blog is great, btw. Keep it up!

      Delete