Thursday, May 31, 2012

Unplugged Challenge Review


I was all set to tell you that my Unplugged Challenge was a complete success. Amazing, transcending experience. Then my mom asked how it was without TV all weekend. Huh? Oh. Right. TV. I actually didn't consider TV to be a problem for me, which is why I didn't think about it during my challenge. I can't decide if I should have included that or not because I really only watch TV while I fold laundry and an hour or so at night to unwind with Ryan. Hmm...

But other than the TV aspect...The Unplugged Challenge was a success! As I mentioned this past week, my phone and computer were beginning to be an escape tactic from doing what needed to be done whether it was sweep the kitchen floor or get Henry dressed before 10 a.m.  I challenged myself to unplug and really connect with my family.

I did allow myself a little time at night to write, but that was it. By not checking my email every five minutes or logging on Facebook every time I wanted a distraction from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I started to create better habits.

For example:

  • Rather than check my email for the 3495th time while Henry watched Backyardigans (OMG. I would rather have a pap smear with a toilet brush than watch that show), I turned the TV off. We played with a cardboard box instead. Sing one of your lame ass songs about that, Bonequesha or whatever the pink one's name is. 
dear nickelodeon, thanks for the image
kill the show.
  • Instead of pinning everything in sight on Pinterest while Henry ate his breakfast, I got rid of a stack of magazines. (But not People's Royal Wedding issue. I will never get rid of that. Kate Middleton is one lucky wench). 

  • Instead of checking Facebook at traffic lights, I talked to Henry. Pointed out all the trucks and vans. This resulted in a vigorous, "Whassat?"interrogation and Henry demanded to know what everything was although, to be honest, I'm not really sure what he's looking for here. Type of vehicle? Color? Make? Model? 
  • I got in the bathroom, and I got out. I don't think I need to go into too much detail here, but I consider my bathroom trips just that-- a trip. It's an infinitesimal vacation in the middle of my day where I shut the door and have a moment of peace (if I'm lucky), so this was a tough area to remain unplugged. 

As a result:

  • I've had more of a chance to connect with my family. Ryan and I have just been stupid. Cracking jokes and giving each other wet willies. 
  • Henry has learned new words, which, ok-- may have happened with or without me unplugging, but I like to think it helped. He now says "Beebee" for Mickey and "Oh no", and "bees" for please (but only under extreme duress). I'm sure Mitsubishi and Hyundai are next.
  • My house is getting cleanish. I know I will never reach Martha Stewart status, but I actually LIVE in my house. I'm there about 18 hours a day. Oh, and I have a dog, a cat, and a toddler. I know the three of them come up with diabolical schemes every day on how to add to my list of work. It goes like this: Henry plots to shake an apple juice box on the carpet while the cat vomits in the hallway and George jumps on the counter and tears open a bag of bread.
props to the MTGO Academy for this image. please don't sue me.


If you would like to try an unplugged challenge (sans TV), here are my tips:

1. Give yourself an hour every day to go on the Internet for "choice time"- Choice time is code for do whatever the f you want. Give yourself an hour to pay bills, check email, or load pictures. If you are really hardcore you can skip this step. Just pay your bills, though.

2. Keep your phone away from you- This is key, especially if you have a smart phone. You will be less inclined to tweet or pin or whatever if your phone isn't near you. I kept mine on a table in the foyer or upstairs hallway so that I could hear it if it rang, but it wasn't on me. Plus, the jury's still out on this one, but I've done some research and studies show it could be harmful to your health to keep your phone on you.

3. Delete or hide any apps that are triggers- I like to think of this as the equivalent of throwing out junk food when you're trying to lose weight. Out of sight, out of mind.

4. Do stuff- You know. Stuff you're supposed to be doing. Stop trying to escape, dummy. Do your laundry! Take a shower! Clean out the fridge! Go to the gym! It's like after a break up--and you are breaking up in a way--just keep yourself busy.

What am I leaving out?

No comments:

Post a Comment