Wednesday, June 6, 2012

20 wk ultrasound. It's a ... !

BABY! Wahoo!
The big man. So pumped to see his little brother/sister (no, not really).

Today was my 20-- well, 21 week-- ultrasound. After some deliberation, Ryan and I decided not to find out the gender and let it be a surprise just like we did with Henry. Let me tell you, it is not easier the second time around to decide this. If anything, it's harder. Do we unpack all the boy clothes? Do we go get little girl clothes? Do I add rosey pink pillows and ribbons to the nursery? Or just keep it as it is?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Whether I buy girl clothes before or after the baby is born makes no difference. I have a lot of gender neutral clothing since Henry was a surprise, so that will get us through the first few weeks. If it's a boy, well, check. I've found a spot in Henry's big boy room to keep hand-me-downs, and I'll probably keep the clothes there no matter what. Jeans are jeans. White onesies are white onesies. Socks are socks.

One of the best parts of waiting to find out the gender is the guessing. EVERYONE has an opinion. Even the bitchface who works at Pottery Barn Kids who likes to tell you she thinks you're having a girl because you gained weight all over. (ERR! WRONG! Henry was a boy. I was just fat, thanks). I've decided I'm going to keep track, and we can see who is right in about three and half months.

Mother's Intuition: GIRL
Chinese Gender Predictor: GIRL
Parents Quiz: BOY
BabyZone Quiz: GIRL
Beverly at Costco (who was right with Henry): GIRL

So far, a girl is in the lead. I need to go get my nails done because the woman who did my nails worked at a hospital in Vietnam and "learned to tell" that way. She was right with Henry! I'm considering buying one of those gender predictor kits off Amazon, but they seem shady. I know they don't REALLY work, but it's still fun.

Please don't misinterpret my waiting to see what we have as me not being a planner. I am a planner, and I will plan a convenient date to cut you if you tell me that you "Would have to find out what you are having because you are such a planner". I'm dying inside to know, but once you've had the excitement of finding out the gender AND meeting your child for the first time it's hard to imagine separating the two. I feel like the second pregnancy isn't always treated as special as the first pregnancy, so keeping the double whammy surprise is my best effort in making it special. Even though it's killing me, and I straight up told the technician I wouldn't be mad if she slipped up and told me what I was having, we are waiting... and she didn't slip up. Damn.


2 comments:

  1. I am almost 14 weeks and was dead set on not finding out (we didn't find out with our son either and it was awesome). But now I keep thinking maybe we should. It's so hard, more so this time around because we've already been through the rest of it once... so it's something new and different we could do to mix it up a bit. Hopefully I can hang tight and wait though. I know it will be worth it in the end. Oh, and I think you can get the gender prediction kits at Walgreens or some other drug stores too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I am glad someone else out there understands my struggle. I've been looking at boy vs girl ultrasounds to see if I can get any hints there, but an ultrasound technician I most certainly am not. I'm going to get one of those predictor kits... I feel like it might quell this need to find out. Or make it worse. Who knows. Good luck!

      Delete