Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Docket

Today is my last day of work, and I can't wait to get started on my summer docket. I was inspired to do this after seeing a picture on Pinterest.


What a good idea! Every summer, I say I want to go to Movies on the Mall or ride the train at Burke Lake. Every summer, I don't find the time. Not this summer! One thing I've learned about myself, though, is that I have to spend time decorating a can and then buying clothes pins and then writing my things to do in cute colors, I'm not going to do it. Let's be real. This is just not going to happen. Making a list and checking things off is more my speed:


This I can handle. Except for the Comic Sans font. Just seeing this font makes me angry, which is beginning to be a problem since my church's bulletin is printed using Comic Sans. I can't help it. Comic Sans sets loose a Pavlovian kill reflex within me. So nix the font, but yay to the list. (And let's be real. I'm only using one font color).

The other thing I have to lose is the Bucket List part of the task. I'm not one of those inherently cheerful people. I don't fear darkness and cynicism, but I don't like the idea of a bucket list. It seems morbid to me. I don't want to have to explain to Henry the euphemism of "kicking the bucket" when I tell him all the fun things we are going to be doing. It's just a downer to me.

Instead, I'd like to call my list the Summer Docket. First of all, the word docket is fabulous. I had the pleasure of taking a linguistics class in grad school, so I can appreciate a word with a good alveolar and velar stop. Plus, when I had to go to court when George lost his dog tags (long story, but I had to prove George was street legal in a courtroom where people were convicted of distributing narcotics and manslaughter), I learned to appreciate the value of a list so powerful, it could keep convicted criminals in order. 

Yes, Summer Docket is just perfect. Here, are a few of the things on my docket for the summer:

1. Go to a Movie under the Moon
2. Go see The Lincoln Memorial
3. Go to the National Children's Museum
4. Date Night for Mom and Dad at least once a month
5. Host or go to a playdate once a week
6. Go to a petting zoo
7. Ride the train at Burke Lake
8. Make a book
9. Frame some art of Henry's
10. Take Henry to the driving range with Daddy

I'm going to talk to Ryan to see what he wants to add, but then I'll print it out in a non-offensive font and put it in the kitchen so that I can make the most out of summer. Watch out summer, here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment