Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Henry's Big Boy Room- BEFORE

I've mentioned in previous posts that I've been tinkering away at Henry's big boy room in order to have the nursery ready for baby #2 this October. Ideally, I'd like to have everything done by the end of September so that October can be spent doing last minute crazy nesting projects. This means I have about three months to get the two rooms ready. Totally doable, but still daunting.

Before you look at the pictures, let me preface that I have already started. No judgey Judies allowed. It never looked like this before, but I didn't take any before pictures before I actually started the whole process.

I've gone through the guest room closet and given away seven bags of clothes and sheets. I've gone through some storage under the bed, and I've started removing pictures from the wall and bringing in items I plan on putting up in Henry's finished room. So without further ado:

You can see from the picture that Henry will be going straight from a crib to a queen-sized bed. This has me a little nervous. 

Henry's clothes will be going into this antique dresser, which will need to be cleaned out. Right now it's filled mostly with gift wrap and gift boxes. Check out the cute lamp that my sister-in-law is letting me borrow! Neat! Also check out the space bag that's waiting to be filled. Boo! Notice the fan. It was 92 degrees yesterday, and I'm wearing an incubator on my abdomen. No further explanation necessary, I hope.


 The closet is a little sad at the moment. I'm taking those clothes you see on the left and moving them to the upper right-hand part of the closet to make room for... I have no idea. After filling up the dresser, I don't anticipate a need for a lot of hang-up space. I think it's always good to have extra room, just in case. Three cheers for getting rid of so many clothes!

The bins I found at Costco and will be used for Henry's toys. I think the upper left-hand part of the closet will be used to put the clear storage bins with hand-me-down clothes. They won't fit in the nursery closet as of now.  I'd like to also have an empty bin there with a ready-to-fill space bag for those clothes that don't fit Henry. No more piling in a stack for later-- just straight to the source!

The top shelf will serve as a home for seasonal clothing for Henry, I think.

The middle color is the one we're painting Henry's room. It's Behr's Sparkling Spring, but reminds me a lot of Charleston Blue. It looks a little blue in some lighting, a little gray in others. I know most kids get brighter colored rooms, but that's just not my style. I like soft colors mostly. I think this is a nice, soothing blue that will serve as a nice backdrop to the artwork we have. Also-- just thought of this one-- when we buy a new place sometime this decade, I won't feel like we'd need to paint this room to make it palatable for potential buyers.


Ahh... yes. This is Henry's future reading nook, I think. Those pictures on the floor and on the wall will go in that top empty storage bin once I buy some bubble wrap. The railing is all set to go for Henry's bed, as you can see. I'll probably end up painting that chair, but since I'm not entirely sure how we're going to rearrange the room, I'll wait.

This is at the bottom of my list, but once the room is all set up, if there's wall space, I would like to mod podge the back of this shelf to cover up the stars and put picture frames and other cutesy stuff up. In case you are wondering, yes that is an old cassette tape case for Vanilla Ice, tape missing. Who's the coolest blogger NOW?

In this corner, I have a few of Henry's pictures for his wall. The one on the antique table I picked up recently from Target. The one on the floor is my sister-in-law's that I will probably use as a valance. Sad plant will have to find a new home, as will the lamp, table, and coasters. 


As you can see, I have my work cut out for me. As I've been working, I've kept a list of things I need for the room or to store items that are finding new homes. Mostly, I just need someone to watch Henry so that I can get some work done. Right now, I feel like I'm taking two steps forward and one step back. For each task I get done, Henry has created a new one for me while I've been busy. When school lets out, my teenage neighbor will have a lot of babysitting opportunities!

Wish me luck in the process!

1 comment:

  1. The lamp is adorable! Can't wait to see the "after" pictures....and hear about how he does in the bed. Ours comes tomorrow...eek.

    ReplyDelete